By: Janice Hylton-Thompson
As I approach 40 years old this year, I began to take inventory of my life, goals, and aspiration. I realized that there are some areas in my life that I am not exactly happy with.
When I was a youth, I ran track and long distance and sprints were my specialties. I remember the coach teaching me that when running long distance not to use up all of my energy the first few laps, but to paste myself and just as I am about to make that turn to come home, then put everything I have in it to WIN!!
Ladies, if you are in your forties, guess what? We are making that turn to come home and everything we want, need, waiting for, putting on the back burner, it is time for us to put everything we have in us to WINNING and being FULFILLED!!
There are 3 words I would like for us to ponder:
Forecast, simply means, based on the information, I have I can make a forecast or prediction of what the weather will be like. Forecast is passive!
The weather has to do with seasons and for those of us who are in our 40s, it is time to begin to take a look at the season of our life that we are in.
The interesting thing about seasons is that we all like different ones. I love winter and hate summers. Others love summers and hate winter. But we will all have a “season” that we don’t like! Thankfully, season’s doesn’t last forever!
When you look back over your life, I am sure like anyone else; you have made some mistakes, have some regrets, made some bad decisions and so on.
In spite of this, there is nothing you can do to change what happened. You can’t do anything about the:
- Missed Opportunities
- Bad decision
- And so on
LET BYGONES, BE BYGONES! IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO BEGIN TO LIVE!!
So beginning today, let’s make a decision to put the past to rest! “IT” (whatever your IT is) happened! “IT” is in your past but this is your chance to make that turn to come on home by turning towards forty, embracing and giving it your all!
Foretelling requires you to take action! You will need to speak and plan what you want to see because foretelling is active.
While you can’t do anything about the past, you can do something about today, tomorrow and the rest of your life and that is to FORETELL!
As we hit our forties it is time for us to do those things that we have had on the back burner for years saying “we will get to it!”
What better time to do them than now?
What is it that you have been putting off for years? What do you need to do to turn embrace your forties and come on home?
What’s at home? Victory, fulfillment, contentment, peace, joy, satisfaction, and so on!
What is it?
What do you need to work on? What are some unfinished businesses that need to be completed?
- Do you need to work getting out of debt?
- There are many free tools out there to help people get out of debt. I would recommend Dave Ramsey, I have used his course and I loved it!
- Saving: You can begin with a high-interest online savings account that will take the amount out of your bank account when you schedule it.
- Saving for Retirement: Investing, 401K, 457B, Roth IRA or traditional IRA?
- Life Insurance?
- Do you need to go back to school?
- Make the first step by requesting a manual
- Learn how to play an instrument?
- Start your business?
- How about doing some researching on the type of business?
- How much do you need to start it?
- Write your book?
- Begin to type it up, or keep a notebook on you and every chance you get, write something.
- Stop putting it off and just “write”
- Last year, I published 5 books, I can’t tell you how accomplished it made me feel.
- Get back on the dating scene?
- If you are like I was, I wanted to get married but didn’t go out. My life was the church, work, and home.
- But then I got up and started going out.
- The 2nd time I went out of my comfort zone, I met my husband.
- Get out there, change your environment and you might just meet “the one.”
- Have a baby?
- Have you been wanting another baby? Now is the time to do it. I have been wanting to have another baby and my doctor told me, I have until I am 44.
- I plan on beginning to try shortly.
- Start taking care of yourself?
- Begin to love yourself. Schedule a massage, once a month. Do a manicure and pedicure. Go get your hair washed.
- Take a day off work and enjoy the day, doing what you want.
- Start a blog?
- This is a great opportunity for many women who wants to work from home.
- Write about your passions and what you love to do.
- Stop putting off that cruise and schedule it and have a good time.
- Cut or color your hair?
- I notice, my gray has started to come in. But I have been waiting until I hit 40 to color it. I have decided this week to go again and color it.
- Purchase your first home?
- This has been one of my greatest joys. To have a home that my daughter can live in and have her own space.
- There are many programs out there that will help. Shop around and research.
- Going to the gym?
- Have you been saying how you need to get a gym membership? Perfect timing. I suggest get a month by month one, or check your local community center to see if they have one.
- Get a mammogram?
- 40 is the age that is recommended that we get a mammogram. If you haven’t had it yet, what are you waiting for?
- From what I hear, there is a new technique that is better and easier.
Sex and Relationship?
- Enjoy Sex:
Rumor has it that we hit our peak in our forties and we reach a new height in our sexuality. Ladies, if you have not been satisfied in the bedroom, tell your husband what you want and how your live it!
- Are you in a dead-end relationship that is not going anywhere? Why waste more time, let it go.
- If you want to get married and he doesn’t, there is nothing you can do to make a man ready to get married.
- The right might be out there looking for you but you are wasting your time with the wrong one.
Goals: What are your goals?
Whatever it is that you have been putting off, now is the time for you to be inspired, empowered and do it!!
Maybe you feel as if you need a change, but you are not sure where to start?
Take a day, sit in the park with a notebook and pen and just write. Don’t think about what you are writing, just allow your heart to connect with your fingers and write.
I would suggest a life coach help you along your journey if you are not sure what you would like to do.
Remember ladies, this is our FULFILLING FORTIES, so just step out and be FULFILLED!!
Mom and writer Janice Hylton-Thompson is the author of several books to encourage the body of Christ and is currently at work on her first novel. Her blog www.janicehyltonblog.com focuses on words of encouragement on various topics such as inspiring women to walk in their royalty.